Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chapter 30: Even Later

      We were sitting on the waist-high block wall at Juan’s family farm, watching the police do what police do. The ambulance carted Roy, still breathing, away ten minutes earlier. Carl was still inside. Some official-looking people were talking to one of the folks from the crowd of neighbors congregating across the street.
After the first round of police questions, we called everyone, telling them we were all right. Laura spent an enormous amount of time on my phone with Frieda, reassuring her she was safe, then giving her directions on the correct way to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to Bruce’s specifications. Afterwards, Laura used half my month’s cell minutes talking to Jet.
The police picked up the passengers of the Mercedes on the way back from the Sweet Shop, about the same time Laura and I were inside living our nightmare. According to Officer Harding, someone on Carl’s crew had a hankering for chicken wings. So, they all piled in the car, picked up the wings and were in the process of zooming on back, ready to watch late-night cable when they were pulled over by four Phoenix police cars.
Laura took another sip from the water bottle one of the officers gave us. She turned to me, “How’d you find me?”
“I found Julie. I went and saw her and told her about you and Juan.” I shuddered as I thought about my gruesome discovery. Laura hadn’t been aware of Juan’s demise until five minutes earlier.
“Yea. She and Juan were dating. That had to be a blow.”
We sat in silence, watching the scene unfold. The officers had already talked to both of us. Currently we were waiting for the police to release us. The friendliest officer, whose job description included keeping an eye on us, let us know they might have more questions. Hard to believe. We had covered everything spanning from World War 1 to the moment we ran out the door of Juan’s home, into the arms of the police force—who apparently were unaware anyone was in the house until they heard gunshots.
“So, where was Carl’s stuff?” I finally asked her.
Laura brightened, and a wide smile crossed her face, “With the Feds. I gave it to them yesterday. I didn’t figure it was a good idea to hold on to it.” I laughed. “Besides, I was gambling the Feds would get him before he got me. I guess I got it partially right.”
She continued, “Carl had been giving me trouble because he had skimmed some money from this drug lord, Pablo Villanova.” I nodded. “I knew Carl was messing with him. I heard him talking at the hotel one day. I was making the rounds, and he was on the phone with the door open, waiting for his bimbo to join him. That’s one thing about what Carl wanted from me. He had a permanent room at the Hacienda. I really hate him.
“Anyway, the day I heard Carl talking, he was telling someone he screwed up and he wanted a chance to make it up. That’s the thing about Carl, he thought he was smarter than everyone else, and when he got caught by someone more bad-ass than him, he just begged for forgiveness.” Laura took a drink of water from the bottle the police had given her.
“Later that night, he ran across the street to the Sweet Shop. I was curious. I never snooped on him before. I had been afraid to. But, he had been such an asshole to me about being one day late on my payment…” her voice drifted off. “You know, I just wanted to know. I wanted to know who he was talking to and who got him to act like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
“You should have heard him Tina, ‘oh, give me another chance… I can get the money for you…’ and on and on. It was pathetic. I admit it. I was nosy. I found his address book and a bunch of other stuff tying him to Villanova. I thought I would just keep it and if I had something on him, maybe he might just leave me alone. Then, Carl figured out it was missing and put two and two together. He had been in a shitty mood that day. He kept coming over to the hotel. Screaming at me, throwing things... When he is angry he gets really violent and then he just gets worse.” She was still, but I shuddered, thinking of what hell she had gone through at his hands all these years.
Laura gave me a reassuring glance. “Oh. No. Carl is a royal asshole, but he isn’t a rapist. He just got mean when he was pissed.” She continued. “Anyway, he was looking for his files. I had a temporary case of stupidity, and had just had it with him and his shit. It wasn’t the brightest thing I ever did.” She stated with a half-laugh. “But, I told him the truth. He lost his mind. He trashed my desk. I told him I made arrangements to give it to the Feds if he didn’t leave me alone. That night, he torched the place. Asshole.” She shook her head.
“Why did you deal with Carl as long as you did?” I asked.
Laura took another sip of water. “Charlie.” She said, biting her lip. “He owns half and he wouldn’t sell. For the first couple of years he was in jail, I tried to buy him out. He refused.” Laura shook her head. “Charlie wanted it for when he got out of jail. He wanted it for the boys. And, I never told him about Carl’s violent streak. Charlie went to jail because we owed Carl money. Charlie was trying to work off the debt. Right or wrong. That is what he was doing.”
Laura paused, and sat up straighter. “And, I do like being in business. I like that I did well with it. I am really proud of myself. I accomplished something. If you had asked me ten years ago, I would have told you I couldn’t do it. Now, I feel like there is nothing I can’t do. There is a lot to be said for doing something completely on your own.”

No comments:

Post a Comment