Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 26: Laura's Secret

I woke up to a peaceful silence Sunday morning. Dully awake, it took a moment to bring the events of last night to mind. I smiled, thinking about how it was been the first time I had gone anywhere social on a Saturday night since moving to Phoenix. It was a nice feeling, I thought as I lay in bed, to have made friends who thought enough of me to invite me out.
Maybe life in Phoenix would work out ok after all. Eventually I would pay off Carl. Eventually I would move out of Laura’s home, get a place of my own. The thought saddened me. Laura’s home seemed a lot more homey to me than living by myself in an apartment.
Carl, I mused as I sat in bed stretching, did me a favor. I loved the feeling of having people around me. I liked Laura. I liked her kids. Mother had a small fit when I told her I was living with a single mother with two young boys.
Laura was nobody I would have known in Shades Crest, not because she wasn’t good enough for me, in most ways, I think she was much better. She had a strong work ethic. She has made decisions to chose her destiny. She has earned the great things in her life. But our paths wouldn’t have crossed. And, I thought sadly, there were probably plenty of people I had missed out on because I never took the time before to meet the great people who make the salt of the Earth.


The next two days were occupied with Price Bargains and real estate. Lillian Fields was getting lots of showings. I was thankful for this, because it meant I didn’t need to spend Jimmy’s money advertising. Michael’s transaction was going along well. Now, it was a matter of him waiting for the loan to be approved. Dee and Nancy were invaluable, quickly offering advice and guidance. I hadn’t heard from Mr. Daniels in a few days. The last directive I received from him was to sit tight and he would call me when the repairs were ready.
I hadn’t seen Laura since Sunday morning, when she came out of her room with a smile on her face. She assured me the party broke down right after tacos with everyone going to their respective homes.
“Jet’s kind of sweet.” She said noncommittally. Afterwards, she packed some things and said she would be staying at her mother’s house for a day or two until she could talk to the insurance adjuster. I asked her how safe she felt.
Resolved she sighed, “Safe enough.” Then, after a sip of coffee, she looked at me. “I really need to get this loan through. If I can pay off Carl, I will own the hotel free and clear and I can get him out of my life.”
I was missing the big picture. “Um, Laura, “Do you think it will be so easy? I highly doubt Carl will go away so easily. It strikes me that he wouldn’t be opposed to killing you.
Laura considered for a moment. “He won’t.”
“Look, how can you be so sure? If he kills you, can’t he collect the insurance money because he holds the mortgage?” It seemed to me she was way too calm about this.
“He won’t kill me.” She said confidently. “I have something he wants. It is well-hidden, and as long as I have it, I will be alive.”
I didn’t hide my frustration, “How can you be so sure he won’t find it?”
“He won’t.” She repeated then chuckled. “The Feds are after him too. I have some information that might help them out. Carl knows I have it. I told him if anything happens to me this information will go straight to all of those people who want him,” She said.
“He does some low-life drug stuff, but most of that is done through the Sweet Shop and Roy and Ed. Those two aren’t the sinister nasty guys Carl is. They aren’t involved with the same level of …” here she searched for the right word, “associates… Carl hangs out with. Carl is into bad-ass international stuff. I am a source of petty cash for him. He will leave me alone when he gets his money.” Laura quickly turned toward the sink, and over her shoulder added, “I just hope Jet can come through with a loan pretty quickly.”
I hoped so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment